Connect with us

Awarness

20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool

Published

on

The race to fill the vacant stool of the Alaafin of Oyo has begun with at least 20 princes from the Owoade Ruling Family signifying their interest to succeed Oba Lamidi Adeyemi.

Owoade Ruling Family is one of the two ruling families under the Agunloye Ruling House, according to the Mogaji of the family, Prince Adediwura Owoade.

Advertisement

The Mogaji said this in an interview with our correspondent on Thursday.

He said the family had opened a register for all interested members of the family to write their names and submit their curriculum vitae.

He said the family would invite the vice-chancellor of one of the universities around to screen the names with the aim of presenting the best applicant to the Oyo Mesi, who are the kingmakers.

Advertisement

He said the family had been cheated for so long but was now ready to ensure that one of its princes ascends the throne.

Owoade said, “Twenty princes from Owoade Ruling Family have indicated their interest in becoming the next Alaafin. But like I told you we will screen them and present the best.

“All of them are my children. Everybody who is contesting from Owoade family is my son. We are one family. We met it like that and we want it to remain like that.

“I want to stress this that whoever is picked from Owoade family will work for the development of the town and we are ready to settle any rift with anybody in Oyo. We are for peace and whatever may be the cause of such fight, we are ready to settle it. We want unity in Oyo, we want Oyo be one in order to enhance development and security.”

Advertisement

The stool became vacant following the death Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, on April 22 at the age of 83.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Awarness

FG Plans To Sell Electricity Transmission Company

Published

on

By

The Federal Government is currently gearing up to put the Transmission Company of Nigeria, up for sale, Saturday PUNCH has learnt.

The fresh move comes on the heels of stalled negotiations between the Federal Government and the National Union of Electricity Employees as the latter threatens to shut down the economy.

Advertisement

A source close to the matter, on Thursday, told The PUNCH, on condition of anonymity, that talks to resolve pending disputes between the workers and the Federal Government had hit the rocks, and was “currently not yielding the desired results.”

“The Federal Government is quietly negotiating with buyers to sell the TCN. The process will be announced soon,” the source had said.

The workers have, for the second time, threatened to shut down the national grid over unmet demands by the Federal Government.

Advertisement

According to the Zonal Organising Secretary, North-West, NUEE, Comrade Dukat Ayuba, while briefing newsmen in Kaduna on Thursday, explained that although negotiation was still ongoing, the group would embark on a fresh strike.

He described the privatisation process as a scam.

He added, “That was why we kicked against privatising the distribution sector, because the investors don’t have the capacity and expertise. As committed Nigerians, we advised the government against it. But the government was hellbent on doing so.”

Advertisement

According to him, investors were still operating with obsolete equipment dating back to 35, 40, and 50 years, stating that one would expect that with their coming, they would replace the obsolete equipment but nothing had been done.

He regretted that the nation still generated 5,000 megawatts of electricity, saying that it was the same old 5,000 megawatts, with no benefit from privatisation.

General Secretary, NUEE, Joe Ajaero, confirmed Saturday PUNCH findings about stalled negotiations. He told our correspondence that no agreement had been reached.

Advertisement

“No agreement yet. They are playing pranks. To compute the money they owe, they said their database is corrupted. Even the meeting of today has been put off,” he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Awarness

Four Confirmed Dead As Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos (Photo)

Published

on

By

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Friday confirmed that four persons died while one was rescued in the building collapse at Oye Sonuga Street, Palm Avenue, in Mushin, Lagos.

Earlier, the Lagos State Government also said it would investigate the cause of the building collapse.

Advertisement

The Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Mr Omotayo Bamgbose-Martins, while visiting the site of the three storey building, directed that the building be pulled down immediately for safety reasons and to forestall further collapse.

He also ordered the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) and the Lagos State Materials Testing Laboratory to unravel the cause of the collapse.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Awarness

Kogi Pastor Arrested For Selling ‘Bullet Proof Water’

Published

on

By

His church runs labour ward for pregnant women- Police

A pastor, Peter Michonza, of New Jerusalem Deliverance Ministry, Okene, Kogi State, has been arrested by security agents on issues concerning unethical practices.

The media aide of Okene LGA Chairman, Abdulmumin Abubakar, confirmed his arrest on Wednesday to newsmen, saying the Chairman, Hon Abduraraq Muhammad, was the one who ordered the security agents to arrest and investigate his activities.

The arrest of Pastor Michonza may not be unconnected with a video clip on the social media where the clergyman is seen selling “bullet proof water”.

Advertisement

Pastor Michonza’s church, located in the Ageva area of Okene, is also alleged to be running a labour ward for pregnant women.

A resident of Ageva said Peter Michonza was a popular musician in the suburb, but that he suddenly started a gospel ministry; admitting people for deliverance.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending