N20bn Accusation: Kogi Takes Legal Action Against EFCC; Says EFCC Pursuing A Political Agenda
Kogi State Government says the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has been pursuing a political agenda regarding the controversial N20bn bail-out fund the state was accused of.
Gatekeepers News reports that the Kogi State Government says the EFCC’s is attempting to desperately wriggle out of a bad case with another, which is aimed at misleading Nigerians.
The State said this while quoting a letter signed by the Central Bank of Nigeria, which had not said anything different from what had been said so far on the controversial N20bn bail-out fund
In reaction to the press release issued by the anti-graft agency, Kogi State Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, said the Government would prepare a comprehensive response to the latest of the desperate moves by the Commission to save its face given its apparent goof and unethical conduct in the matter in dispute.
Fanwo said, “The press statement by the Commission is a malicious attempt to rope the state into a matter that ordinarily has nothing to do with our dear state.
“We maintain the unassailable truth that the Kogi State Government did not operate such account with the bank as affirmed in a letter by the bank. We sympathise with the EFCC as it has been a herculean task to cover the initial misinformation and deliberate deceit by the Commission.”
Fanwo while stressing that the Kogi State Government would react to the latest EFCC statement comprehensively, noted that “every option that is legal will be considered to maintain the innocence and transparency of our Government.”
He added that “Kogites and indeed, Nigerians should rest assured that we will get to the root of this matter.”
“The press statement by the Commission is a malicious attempt to rope the state into a matter that ordinarily has nothing to do with our dear state,” he said.
“We maintain the unassailable truth that the Kogi State Government did not operate such account with the bank as affirmed in a letter by the bank.
“We sympathize with the EFCC as it has been a herculean task to cover the initial misinformation and deliberate deceit by the Commission.
“Kogites and indeed, Nigerians should rest assured that we will get to the root of this matter,” he added.
Fanwo accused the EFCC of an attempt “to desperately wriggle out of a bad case with another mischief aimed, again, at misleading Nigerians.”
“It vowed that it would take legal action to maintain the “innocence and transparency” of the government.
Tinubu Donates ₦50 Million To Victims Of Zamfara Attacks
The national leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, and former Lagos State governor, Bola Tinubu, on Thursday, announced a donation of N50 million to Zamfara communities recently attacked by bandits.
Mr Tinubu announced the donation shortly after he commiserated with Gov. Bello Matawalle in Gusau, Zamfara.
The APC national leader called for sustained prayers to overcome the insecurity situation in the state.
“I could offer prayers for the people from anywhere, but coming in person is important.
“The enemies of knowledge, Boko Haram and other criminal elements will be defeated through commitment in humanity.
“We pray for the entire country to be stable and if the enemies refuse to stop the carnage, we shall eliminate them.
“We believe in President Muhammadu Buhari’s ability to restore law and order and bring back our country to stability and tracks of development,” Mr Tinubu said.
He was accompanied on the visit to Gusau by Kashim Shettima, former Borno governor, the former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC, Nuhu Ribadu and former APC national vice chairman, South-West, Pius Akinyelure.
Mr Matawalle, who received the APC leader, said that his visit would further console the bereaved communities and the entire people of the state.
“It is my pleasure to welcome His Excellency, Sen. Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Jagaban Borgu, who has spared time out of his tight commitments to visit the state to commiserate with our people over the recent tragic incident of banditry attacks in some communities of Anka and Bukkuyum Local Government Areas,” Mr Matawalle said.
He described Mr Tinubu as a doyen of contemporary Nigerian politics, a dedicated leader, and a bridge-builder.
Similarly, he cited him as someone who had spent the past 23 years of the nation’s democracy fostering unity, nurturing, and raising individuals who had equally distinguished themselves in various spheres of human endeavour in contemporary Nigeria.
The governor noted that the problem of banditry in the state had persisted for over a decade.
“When I assumed office in 2019, I made it my utmost priority to address this issue as no meaningful development could be accomplished in an atmosphere of insecurity.
“Considering the reality that the conflict is tied to ethnic fault lines, I initiated a dialogue and reconciliation programme, which leaders of thought overwhelmingly accepted all over the state.
“As a result of our programme of dialogue and reconciliation, hostilities ceased for a period of over nine months.
“Hundreds of kidnapped persons were unconditionally released by their captors,” Mr Matawalle said.
He explained that as the disarmament process progressed; the glorious era of brotherly love, and mutual coexistence among segments of the Zamfara communities returned.
According to him, for the first time in more than a decade, the annual Fulani festival of ‘Sharu’ was held in Gusau in 2019.
He, however, expressed sadness that the achievement became bad news for some “self-serving politicians in the state.
“They, therefore, perfected plans to sabotage the peace process. In some cases, security reports fingered them as having direct involvement in the planning and execution of kidnapping, ostensibly to embarrass the government.
“For instance, based on the figures confirmed by the affected community leaders when I visited the communities after the recent attacks, a total of 58 people lost their lives in contrast to the outrageous figures being published in the media,” he stated.
Mr Matawalle said that his government had in addition to the dialogue, committed enormous resources in the provision of logistics and allowances for security forces deployed to the state.
In 2019 alone, he said that his government procured and distributed 200 brand new Hilux pickups for the security forces in the state.
The Governor added that his administration would continue to do everything within its power to bring an end to the menace of banditry in the state.
“As we get closer to 2023 general elections, we will be more vigilant and proactive, knowing that these destabilising forces are not likely to tone down their antics.
“They may continue to plot nefarious schemes in order to obtain political gains,” Mr Matawalle said.
He thanked the APC leader for taking time out to visit and commiserate with the government and people of the state.
“May Allah richly reward you and fulfil your desire of building a strong bond among Nigerians across all the divides.”
Wedding Guest Finds Out Bride Is His Girlfriend (Video)
A video which is circulating on social media, shows a man creating a scene at a wedding ceremony after he found out to his shock that the bride is his own girlfriend.
It was gathered that man was invited to the wedding and he showed up to the venue just like other guests, but to his shock, the lady who was getting married that day was his girlfriend.
Destabilized by the turn of events, he started causing drama but before things could escalate, he was whisked away by security guards at the wedding.
The video was shared online alongside the caption; “He was invited to a wedding and he came to meet his girlfriend as the BRIDE.”
Kogi Workers Say They Are Not Owed Salaries, Thank Bello On Projects. Watch Video
CableNews interviews residents and workers of Kogi State…
Watch responses below