The 21-storey building that collapsed today at Musikiu Junction by Gerard Road, Ikoyi, Lagos, was sealed by the State government last year to “prevent calamity”.
Unfortunately, it appears the building was later unsealed and construction continued until it collapsed today, November 1, at about 2:25 pm.
In July 2020, it was reported that Sanwo-Olu had sealed the Gerard, Ikoyi high-rise.
At the time, a source was quoted as saying that the State Government took the action to seal the building in order to ensure that what happened with Lekki Gardens Estate when its on-going six-storey building collapsed on March 8, 2016 would not be witnessed again in the state.
The source said: “It is unheard of that the owners of the Ikoyi project in question would embark on such a capital intensive project without obtaining required approvals for a project as massive as that.
“Gone are the days of negligence on the part of the Government when people flout the law. Sealing up the project is law taking its due course.
“The owners of this project have shown themselves to be defiant and obstinate, in that the State Ministry of Land and Physical Planning had been calling on them (to) without paying attention to what the Ministry had been calling their attention to.
“It does not benefit the state to stop economically viable projects like the project on Gerrard Road in Ikoyi, but the responsibility falls on the government that all rules and regulations guiding such buildings are strictly adhered to.
“What the government has done is to halt further construction with a view to assessing and evaluating the extent to which the builders had adhered to the building code. The state will take it up from there.
“The government will not fold its arm and watch people behave recklessly without order and accountability. We are talking about people’s lives here. The state will no longer tolerate such attitude from anybody no matter how highly placed they may be.”
Agitations: Nigeria Must Embrace Restructuring Before It Is Too Late – Fayemi
Ekiti State Governor, Kayode Fayemi, has warned that Nigeria must embrace the restructuring of the country’s political and administrative system before it is too late.
He said restructuring through national dialogue will allow for greater decentralisation and devolution of powers and therefore address the growing agitations ubiquitous in the country.
The governor stated this on Thursday during the 60th Distinguished Lecture of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs in Victoria Island, Lagos.
The Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum spoke on the theme, ‘Fixing Nigeria For A Better World’.
Fayemi said the agitations and discontent being felt in parts of the country are evident of the structural challenges the country is facing, adding that they can be discussed and amicably agreed upon through effective dialogue.
He said, “Nigeria must as a matter of urgency undertake the following steps for a better world:
“Embrace political restructuring through a national dialogue process before it is too late. The discontent and agitations that are being felt in parts of the country are symptomatic of structural challenges that can be discussed and amicably agreed upon when all constituent units of the Federation come together to discuss and agree on what the Nigeria of their dreams means.
Addressing the national question will only ensure that we are on a path to greatness and will generate the sense of unity of purpose required for us to attain our best potential;
“Undertake concerted efforts towards revamping structures and instruments of our foreign policy. Here, I refer to modernizing and adequately funding the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, our Missions abroad, as well as institutions such as the NIIA, NIPSS and IPCR. Ensuring that our most gifted hands are recruited into our Foreign Service and related institutions will only result in a better-informed foreign policy machinery.”
Of late, agitations have increased in Nigeria, especially in the Southern part of the country with the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra led by Nnamdi Kanu; as well as Yoruba Nation separatists led by Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho. Both groups are agitating for the secession of the South-East and South-West regions respectively from the Nigerian State. They have complained about perceived injustices, lopsided appointments, insecurity, amongst others. Both Kamu and Igboho have been behind bars for months and are facing terrorism-related charges.
Evans Who Made His Billions From Kidnapping Has Finally Been Sentenced To Death
Nigerian notorious kidnapper Evans whose real name is Chikwudubem Onwuamadike has been sentenced to death after been trialed for 3 years for kidnapping and other notorious criminal activities. He was sentenced to death yesterday by a Federal High Court in Lagos, after he was found guilty of kidnapping. Chikwudubem Onwuamadike who is popularly known as Evans made waves years ago after he was arrested for kidnapping. His operation was uncovered and he was found guilty of countless kidnapping.
Evans is one of the biggest criminals in Nigeria.
When he was arrested, the authorities uncovered all the fortune the man has gathered with his illegal and criminal acts. Evans made over 6 billionaire from kidnapping and was regarded as one of Nigerians leading billionaires. But after his arrest in 2017, his properties, cars, houses and assets worth over billions of naira was seized by the Nigerian Federal Government. He was then charged to court and his case has remained in court since 2017 till yesterday 20th August 2020, when the Federal High Court in Lagos finalized his case.
He was found guilty of all the charges leveled against him and was sentenced to death
Well, it looks like Evans has finally met his waterloo. The Federal High Court in Lagos sentenced him to death on Thursday. The billionaire has finally gotten a verdict for all his crimes in Nigeria and I believe this will serve as a lesson for those planning to go into kidnapping and other forms of criminal activities.
Cheating Wife Stabs Husband To Death After He Caught Her With Man On Matrimonial Bed
It was a tale of tears and wailings in Ivhiogbe quarters of Jattu, headquarters of Uzairue Clan of Etsako West Local Government Area of Edo State, as a cheating wife stabbed her husband, one Abdulrasheed Dagana to death after he caught her in their matrimonial bed having intimacy with another man.
The incidence happened yesterday, 13 November, 2021 when the young man, Tipper driver came back from work unexpectedly to behold his wife naked with another man inside their matrimonial room.
The man attempted to wrestle with the wife’s lover, but the wife had join forces with the lover and stabbed her young husband. The man bleeder profusely on the way to the hospital where he died a few minutes later.
Wife Kills Husband Who Caught Her Cheating In Their Matrimonial Home
A man simply identified as Abdulateef has been stabbed to death by his wife.
The woman was said to have harmed him after he caught her with another man in their matrimonial home.
It was gathered that the incident happened around 3am on Sunday in Jattu, Etsako West Local Government of Edo State.
The woman reportedly stabbed the deceased when he came home at about 3am and met her with another man in their bedroom.
A source said, “The man was living with two wives in his house, but had to rent an apartment for his first wife in a different location to allow peace to reign while staying with the junior one in his house.”
He said the deceased visits the first wife and spends the night there but there has been a rumour that another man visits his second wife every night when he is not at home.
He said the deceased came home that night from his first wife’s rented apartment, only to meet a man with his junior wife in their bedroom.
According to him, the deceased allegedly got hold of the visitor and in the process, the woman stabbed him twice on his stomach apparently to pave way for the alleged lover’s escape and make it look like a robbery attack.
He said the deceased died as a result of the injury, adding that the quick arrival of the police saved the suspect from being killed by a mob.
He said the suspect has been arrested by the police.
Efforts to get a response from the state’s police command’s Public Relations Officer to respond were unsuccessful as calls and text messages to his phone were not answered and replied to respectively.